Saturday, December 12, 2009

Japanese Rail Truck Model

Post #1. Card Stock version of the Japanese Rail Truck.

I found this Japanese Model Rail Truck on one of the Train Forums I belong to. I tried to find a way to order one. I wasn't able to so I asked for help and was given a few places to look. I looked all over the companies web site but could not see a way to order a kit. I did find out the Model was made for HOn30. I wanted one a bit larger.

I decided to just wing it, sort of, and make a card stock mockup first. I did a cut and paste on the photo etch picture and this is where I am with it so far. After I get a few detail parts I will scratch build another Rail Truck using the mockup as my pattern. The next one may be made out of plastic and wood.

After I got the body finished I looked through my stuff for away to power it and came up with an HO Bachmann MOW Vehicle. I removed a few parts and the Rail Truck was a perfect fit. I sat the Rail Truck on the MOW frame, put it on my test track and off it went. The scale is sort of On30.

1.


2.


3.



=========
Post #2. Changing Wheel size from 18" to 28".

The wheels on the Bachmann MOW Car wheels measure about 18" in On30 (1/48" scale) and are really to small. I had 2 pair of some larger wheels that I thought would work better. They are 28" wheels in On30 (1/48" scale). To use the bigger wheels required several modifications to the MOW chassis.

I also had to remove the gears from the other wheel set and put them on the new wheel set.








=========
Post #3. Chassis Modification.

To fit the larger wheels to the chassis it was necessary to cut away some of the chassis so the top of the wheels would not rub. I first had to remove the electrical contacts Bachmann had installed. After installing the new wheel sets I checked to make sure everything still ran Ok. I used a battery for current on this test. The motor and wheels run OK.










=========
Post #4. New Look.

The larger wheels give the Rail truck a new look. I am going to modify the Cab and Radiator area and maybe make a few other minor changes.



You can see the difference in wheel size between the small wheels and the new larger wheels in this picture.




Left over parts.



==========

No comments: